GREEN CHILLI WITH PORK
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 large onions chopped about 4 cups
- 8 medium garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 8 fresh jalapeno peppers stemmed and minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced crosswise into ½ inch pieces
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder cut into ½ inch cubes
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned broth
- 28 ounce crushed Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 potato, peeled and grated (8 ounces)
- 12 large Poblano chillies (1 ½ pound), roasted and peeled
- or 28 ounce can whole roasted mild green chillis, drained
In a large heavy duty casserole or Casserole (about 5-quart) warm the oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, jalapenos, and carrots. Cook stirring once or twice for 10 minutes. Stir in oregano and pork cubes and cook until pork has lost its pink colour, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Stir in the chicken stock, 1 teaspoon of salt, crushed tomatoes and the grated potato. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook partially covered, for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally. Cut the Poblano chillies into ½ inch strips. Add them to the chilli and cook, stirring often, for another 30 to 45 minutes or until the pork is tender and the chilli is thickened to your liking. Taste for correct seasonings and let cook another 5 minutes. Serve hot.
This Jalapeno chilli can be found in most supermarkets, Tescos, Booths, Asda etc.