We launched the Cumberland Curry to celebrate our 2nd birthday. With use of the most cumbrian produce of all 'Herdwich Lamb', this recipe is slow cooked to create a rich and beautifully textured stew like curry, 'perfect for us country folk'.
Recipe (Serves 4)
You will need...
- 750g Dice Herdwich Lamb
- Starly's Cumberland Curry Sachet
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp white wine / cider vinegar
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp tomatoe puree
- 330 ml water
- 200g fresh spinash
- 2 medium sized onions (grated)
- In a bowl mix together the vinegar, garlic, tomatoe puree with the Lamb and two tsp of the sachet and marinade for 1hour.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat and add the onions. Fry until golden brown. Add the remaining spices and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the lamb and sautee for 5 mins over a moderate heat. Then add the tomatoes and simmer for a further 5 mins.
- Pour in the water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 2hours on a low heat or until the meat is tender. Add more wter if necessary to ensure it doesn't dry out.
- Whilst the curry is cooking strain the spinach in hot water and leave to one side, then add when the lamb is cooked.
- Serve with basmati rice and Starly's Bombay Potatoes then garnish with Corriander.
- Use Herdwick Lamb whenever possible.
- Perfect served with a chilled bottle of Lakeland Gold from Hawkeshead Brewery.
- If you choose to use different meat, adjust cooking times accordingly