A Kashmiri dish using yogurt. This curry is mildly spiced and has a wonderful flavour. We have combined the recipes of both the Hindu and Muslim communities and replaced exotic ingredients with those which are readily available. A big favourite at Starly's!
Recipe (Serves 4)
You will need...
- 750g of diced chicken
- 2 medium sized onions, grated
- Starly’s Rogan josh sachet
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 6 tbsp vegetable/olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 200g of natural full fat yogurt
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on a medium heat then Add the onions and fry until golden brown. Add the spice blend with 2 tablespoons of water and stir continuously for 2 minutes
- Add the chicken and sauté for 5 minutes. Lower the heat and add the yoghurt, stir well and sauté for a few minutes
- Add 150ml of water and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- Add the coriander and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Before serving remove the cardamoms
- Serve with basmati rice and enjoy!
- If you choose to use different meat, adjust cooking times accordingly.
- Lamb for instance would need 250ml of water and should be simmered for around 60 minutes, or until tender.
- Tip! To ensure you get the full flavour from this delicious rogan josh recipe, it is important you use full fat natural yogurt.